- Bald Celebrities
- Baldness Basics
- Baldness in Women
- Grey Hair Product Reviews
- Hair Loss Causes
- Hair Loss Concealer Reviews
- Hair Loss Guides
- Hair Loss Laser Comb Reviews
- Hair Loss Product Reviews
- Hair Loss Shampoo Reviews
- Hair Loss Videos
- Minoxidil Reviews
- Oil Treatment for Hair
- Popular Hair Loss Treatments
- Propecia Reviews
- Vitamins for Hair Loss Reviews
- Wigs and Hairpieces
- January 2013
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- November 2011
- October 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
Dutasteride for Male Pattern Baldness
Dutasteride (or Dutas) is the most powerful anti-baldness medication for men, but it may come with a price of side effects and still is not formally approved as a hair loss medication. Originally, and just like finasteride, it’s main purpose it to treat prostate enlargement in men. Men who used it and their physicians notice a side effect of noticeable hair regrowth, which led to studies that proved it’s effectiveness.
Unlike finasteride that reduces only the levels of the enzyme 5AR type II, dutasteride reduces types I+II, results with significant decline in the DHT levels. The medicine is not officially approved for hair loss, but still, men all over the world use it as a strong baldness cure.
Generic Name: Dutasteride
Brand Names: Avodart™ (GlaxoSmithKline)
Other brand names: Dutas (Generic by Dr Reddy’s), Duprost (Generic by Cipla), Dutagen (Generic by Ranbaxy)
Dosage: 0.5mg / pill/ day
Availability: Prescription Medicine, you can get it online without prescription.
FDA Approval for Avodart™ : November 2001
Who Can Use Dutasteride?
Dutasteride is for men only. Women should not use it from the same reasons they should not use finasteride (fetus defects + low physical and hair response). Users must not donate blood to prevent pregnant women from receiving dutasteride – including 6 months after stopping use.
Should You Use Dutastride?
Consult you doctor first. Men with certain medical conditions or who are using other medications should not use it. Take into account that side effects for using this drug are about 3 times more then Propecia’s finasteride.
Dutasteride Side Effects
Same side effects as Propecia’s – but in higher probability and intense. In 2002 GlaxoSmithKline conducted a phase 2 study for the drug, but had to stop her study for unknown reasons. Most speculations claim the reason is the number of side effect occurrences, which was too high. In 2006 a new study was conducted in Korea, but up until today GlaxoSmithKline haven’t revealed its findings.
There is a famous study that compared the effectiveness of finasteride vs dutasterid, and its impact on the DHT levels in the blood.
5 mg finateride reduced 70% of the DHT levels, by reducing the enzyme 5AR type II, while 0.5 mg dutasteride reduced over 90% of the DHT levels by reducing both 5AR types I & II.
On the other hand, dutasteride users suffered more from side effects, and their blood’s testosterone levels were higher (less testosterone converted to DHT).
Should You Pick Dutasteride as Your 1st Treatment?
It’s better to start with finasteride, the FDA approved medication for male pattern baldness (Propecia or its generic versions). Dutasteride may be used in cased finasteride has no impact. Dutasteride is a potent DHT blocker, stronger then Propecia, but with more side effects, so it’s better to seek an expert’s advice before using this potent medication.
Where Can You Get Dutasteride?
There are 2 options:
1. Get a doctor’s prescription – the problem is to find a doctor that will agree to give it, as it’s a prostate medication.
2. Get it online without prescription, you can get generic versions of Avodart (as well as many other generic medications) in 4rx.com.
Recent Reviews and Articles
- FINALLY the Truth about Stopping Your Hair Loss!
- The Effects of Aloe Vera on Hair Loss
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss
- Why Some Women Shave their Head?
- Childbirth and Hair Loss
- Baldness and its Psychological Impact on Men
- Are You Heartbroken? Be Ready for Hair Loss
- Hair Rebonding and Hair Fall
- Can Creatine Monohydrate Cause Hair Loss?
- Thyroid Hair Loss
Premium Minoxidil Products
Most Popular Articles and Reviews
- ahmed:Do the Revivogen have an effect on a man's fertility?...
- Doc98:well 4rx are back with visa card payment method, which is great news, as this website offers...
- admin:2 capsules a day. if twice daily then you're correct....
- Hmmm:Don't know about that. I've tried both the Medium Brown in XFusion and Toppik. Though they...
- Candace Roche:2 capsules twice daily is four capsules which means the bottle is a one month supply at...